One of the platforms for direct messaging and streaming that stole the spotlight in the days of the global pandemic is the discord app. You can video call, voice call, or send direct text messages to everyone. You can always virtually hang out with friends and people of your community on a discord server.
Hanging out with your existing friends and making new friends has become more accessible due to the app. But let us not pretend that using Discord is easy, however widespread the use of the app be. And when stuck with something, it is a hard job to figure it out on your own.
So are you wondering whether you can message someone on Discord without having to add them? This article will cover how to message someone on Discord without adding them and everything related to that.
How to message someone on Discord without adding them
Through common channels in a server
Here is how to find someone on Discord without adding them and also sending them a private message.
- Open the group that both you and the person have in common. You won’t be able to message someone you don’t share a group with.
- Click on their avatar.
- You will be able to type in a private message.
- You will now see the private message box where the message will be sent as a dm.
This is the easiest solution to how to message someone on Discord without adding them.
Through a server invite
How do you DM on Discord without being on the same server? We have got you covered.
- Go to the channel on the server where you want to invite the person.
- Click on the icon that asks you to invite members.
- You will get an invite link that can be copied and sent to people.
- You can now send the link to people and invite them.
This is an excellent workaround for someone wondering how to message someone on Discord without adding them.
How to send a direct message on Discord
Direct messaging is one of the reasons why Discord has become so famous among the young community. People use the service vastly while playing games or any activity in general. Direct messages let you message someone privately or if they are not on that particular server. So let us try to answer your question about how do you send a direct message on Discord?
What is a DM on Discord
Direct messages are the one-to-one conversations that you can have with another discord user within the app. They cannot be read by the other users who are not part of the conversation. In this article, we will be covering issues on dm whether you are using Discord from a PC, Android, or an Apple device.
Steps to DM someone on Discord:
- Open Discord, and on the top left-hand corner, you will see the icon that says Discord.
- Click on the ‘Friends’ button. You will find it at the bottom in case you are using a smartphone.
- Now go into the tab that says ‘All.’
- Find the user that you want to talk to and click on their avatar.
- You will find the textbox where you can DM the person normally.
Here, you have to keep in mind that some users have their settings altered such that only the people on their friends’ list can DM them. In that case, you may find that you are unable in case you are not a friend. So now you know how do you send a direct message on Discord.
How to DM someone on Discord in a common server
- Open the Discord app and then select a server.
- Find the user that you want to DM from the list of the members on the server.
- Right-click on their name.
- Choose ‘Message’.
- In the textbox that will appear, you can enter the message.
Can you send a message to someone who’s not your friend on Discord
Whether you can DM someone who’s not your friend on Discord depends on the user’s privacy settings. As we already mentioned, some users can alter their DM settings to ‘Friends only’, which means you can’t DM them unless you are their friend.
This is a feature you will find under the ‘Privacy and Safety’ settings. It is a good thing as it keeps away spammers. Unfortunately, this does prevent you from messaging someone who’s not your friend on Discord. So you will need to know how to message someone on Discord without adding them.
Why does it say friend request failed on Discord?
There can be several answers to you wondering why does it say friend request failed on Discord:
- They can have the option of receiving friend requests disabled.
- Check whether you have written the wrong spelling. Pay attention to capital letters, numbers, and spaces.
- Use a different platform to send a friend request.
Can you find someone on Discord without a number?
When we know little, it is possible to wonder how to find someone on Discord without adding them or find someone on Discord without a number? Luckily, we have the answer to that.
- If you wish to find someone within a 30 feet radius, you can ease the nearby scan feature. Both the parties should have their Bluetooth or wifi active.
- You can try to find their id through social media or such.
- Ask mutual friends.
- Search the common groups and servers.
Discord, although hard to navigate for beginners, is easy once you get the hang of it. Until then, it is expected to have queries. One of the main ones for most people is how to message someone on Discord without adding them or find someone on Discord without a number. We have thus tried to cover the topics in and around that, and we sincerely hope you have no doubts as you read this.