Landline phones were used in past times before the advent of mobile phones and the internet. After almost a decade, the demand for the landline grew as these can be easily connected with the Modem and talk over the internet. If you already have a modem/and wifi router and want to connect a landline to it, it is easy. Accordingly, in this post, we will look into how to connect a landline phone to a wifi router and how to connect a landline phone to a modem. Ensure to read the post till the end to get valuable insights as well.
How to connect landline phone to wifi router?
While you may be bewildered to have a glance at multiple wires in the setup pack, connecting a landline phone to a wifi router is effortless. All you need to do is the following detailed steps:
- Step 1: Get the router and Modem together and ensure there is no power supply to either of these.
- Step 2: It is time for the ethernet wire connection. While this wire often comes with the landline phone, you may also purchase it separately. Connect this wire from the Modem to the router.
- Step 3: Now, you need to connect the router to a laptop or computer. This may need an additional Ethernet cable.
- Step 4: Connect the landline phone to the router using the adapter that comes with the phone. You may see a pin labelled Phone 1; this is where you need to connect. If labels are not provided, try connecting to the first fitting port. By now, the connections are all made.
- Step 5: You can now turn on the Modem and PC and check the indicator lights. Wait for some time for them to stabilize. This ensures the Modem is ready.
- Step 6: Power on the router now and ensure that the outlet is turned on. Wait for the router’s lights to get still, just as the Modem.
- Step 7: The landline phone now is all set to make calls to a loved one. Call your family to share memories now.
How to connect a landline phone to a modem?
In some latest versions, internet providers are offering a single box that has a router and modem in it. In such cases, the process is simplified compared to the above ones. Also, if you are looking for How to connect a landline phone to a modem, you can check the following steps :
- Step 1: If your Modem is powered on, turn it off.
- Step 2: Take the box into your hands and check out the port, which is meant to connect to the landline. Generally, there are multiple ports of similar type. However, the one for a landline is often marked.
- Step 3: Grab the ethernet cable and connect one end to the back of the phone and the other end to the discerned port of the Modem.
- Step 4: By now, you have connected all the relevant cables. Turn on the power of the Modem now.
- Step 5: Wait for the light indicators of the box to get stable, ensuring proper connection.
- Step 6: To ensure your phone is connected properly, make a test call, or just check for the dial tone. If you can hear it, you are all set to make a call.
Can you use a Landline phone without a modem/router?
If you have an internet connection, you can effortlessly connect your phone to the same. Even if you don’t have an internet connection, you can apply for standalone landline services from internet providers. Nonetheless, the combination of router and landline seems complete. The advantage of standalone landlines is their clear voice, reduced chances of call dropping and a chance to send voicemails.
Do you know that you can use the landline service without a landline phone too? Some internet providers came up with apps to use landline facilities. You need to connect your mobile phone to the router via wifi and make calls using these apps like a landline phone. The person on the other side gets your landline number on their caller ID.
Some Frequently Asked Questions
What are VoIP Phones?
VoIP stands for Voice over Internet Protocol. Basically, the landlines that are connected to Modem use the internet to connect to other phones. Here the voice signals are converted to digital signals and are transferred to another location. For this reason, these landlines are also known as VoIP phones.
How is VoIP different from other landline phones?
The phones used for VoIP or POTS (plain old telephone service)calls are all the same. The voice signals generated are the same in both services. The change appears in the mode of transporting these signals. POTS transfers the analog signals to the location, whereas a VoIP connection converts the voice signal to a digital signal and then transfers it.
How are traditional phones connected to mobile phones in the call?
Landlines phones give out analog signals, Whereas mobile phones work on radio signals. It is often a question mark to understand how these two get connected. The connection between these devices is ensured with SS7 (Signal system 7). The system can be complicated to understand but can be intriguing.
That’s IT! You know how to connect the landline phone to the wifi router and how to connect a landline phone to the wifi router. The process is effortless when you know the flow of connection between the devices. You may see multiple pins of a similar type on the back of the box; however, you need to check which socket is appropriate for the phone. Usually, the first one among these are marked; check this out to ensure a smooth connection. You can use the other pins to connect with PC and other devices.