“War… War never changes.” Fallout 4 is an action game created by Bethesda Game Studios as part of the Fallout franchise. There are five games in the series, with more on the way. Fallout is a role-playing game set in a post-apocalyptic world. The game has been a huge hit since its debut in 2015.
Massive Bethesda worlds set in the aftermath of the apocalypse, characters that are easy to modify, at times, the degree of detail in the games is stunning. There are easter eggs hidden everywhere in FO4, as well as small stories on terminals that you can miss if you’re not cautious.
Different play styles are supported in the game. You’re not restricted to a single type of gameplay. It is fantastic for replayability because you can play in various ways—the RPG aspects in 3 and, in particular, NV. While the karma system can be restrictive in some respects, playing as a headhunter or a saint was always entertaining. Bethesda and Interplay/Obsidian have built a wonderful universe.
The game was well-received by both critics and players. However, there was a lot of criticism of the game’s technical components. One of the most common complaints from gamers is that the game frequently crashes on PC. Fallout 4 won’t load on PC is another common issue faced by the users. It might occasionally shut down on its own. All of this, among other things, is due to technical issues.
If you’re one of the many players who have the same difficulty, don’t worry; we’ll go through all of the possible fixes to continue to enjoy your time in the gaming universe. However, before we can fix the problem, we must first figure out what’s causing it.
What causes Fallout 4 to crash?
There are several reasons which might trigger Fallout to crash. At first, the problem could occur if you have antivirus software installed or if your firewall is turned on. Additionally, corrupted game files, obsolete graphics drivers, and any game mods are also culprits for this problem. Moreover, several users have stated that the game fails if it is not launched in windowed or borderless mode.
How To Fix Fallout 4 Won’t Load On PC?
Below is a list of some of the most effective solutions for resolving the problem of Fallout 4 won’t on load pc. These techniques will assist you in ensuring that your game is both playable and bug-free.
Take out and uninstall Game mods
Game mods are applications that change the game’s services and code, and while they work for many people, they crash the game for others. Many players have reported that they could play the game normally after deleting the game mod.
Excessive use of mods might wreak havoc on your game’s fundamental files and cause them to malfunction. So the first step is to uninstall any game mods you may have installed, or you may disable all mods and then enable them one by one to see which one is causing issues. Once you’ve located the problematic mod, uninstall it and restart Fallout 4 to see if the issue of Fallout 4 not loading on PC has been resolved.
Keep your Graphics card driver up to date
Your graphics card driver may be out of date, causing Fallout 4 to crash, and because Fallout is a fairly demanding game, updating your graphics card’s driver to the most recent version may help with the problem.
To do so, follow the steps outlined below:
- Choose Device Manager from the menu by pressing Windows+X.
- Right-click each driver under the Display adapters section and choose Update driver.
- Choose the option Search automatically for drivers. To upgrade the graphics drivers, follow the on-screen instructions.
In windowed borderless mode, play the game
When certain games are launched in fullscreen mode, they cause problems, and Fallout 4 is no exception. This Fallout 4 Not Launching with Mods issue affects many users. Even if you try to launch the game with default graphics and screen size settings, the issue occurs. However, many users have observed that the game runs if you set it in Windows Borderless Mode.
The system also performs better in windowed mode. Follow these instructions to enable windowed mode in Fallout 4:
- Go to the Library section of the Steam app.
- Right-click on Fallout and select Properties from the menu.
- Make sure you’re on the General Tab, then select Set launch options from the drop-down menu.
- Type ‘-windowed –no border in the text field supplied in the ‘Launch Options’ window.
- To save your modifications, click ‘OK,’ then start Fallout 4.
There are other possibilities available to us. If this does not work, you can try the alternatives indicated below.
Make sure the game files aren’t corrupted
If the problem persists, it’s possible that the Fallout 4 Not Launching black screen issue is due to a problem with the game files. We use this strategy to ensure that the game files are good and not corrupted. If there are any problems, they will be resolved automatically.
- While Steam is open, go to the Game Library and find Fallout.
- Right-click on it and select Properties.
- Then select the Local Files tab. The Verify Integrity of Game Files button is located below.
- To begin the process, click the button. Ensure that you have access to the Internet.
Allow a few moments for the verification process to complete. Steam will automatically download any missing files. After the process is complete, after the certification procedure, restart the game to see if your problem has been resolved.
Play the game in compatibility mode
If the game still doesn’t start, there could be a compatibility issue. According to reports, many players could resolve the issue by activating the ‘Compatibility Mode’ option. To play the game in compatibility mode, follow these instructions:
- Select Properties from the context menu of the Fallout 4 shortcut on your desktop.
- Select the Run this program in compatibility mode, under the Compatibility mode section of the Compatibility tab—select Windows 8 from the available drop-down option.
- To save your changes, click Apply and OK.
- Start the game and see whether it fixes your issue.
Uninstall the antivirus software for the time being
Some of the apps you have installed to protect yourself from malware can establish restrictions, leading to problems like Fallout 4 won’t load on pc. Here, the Fallout 4 crash could be caused by your antivirus software incorrectly blocking a gaming feature and creating the error. You can temporarily disable your antivirus to see whether the game will run without it. If the game starts OK, add its installation folder to the list of exceptions. In most cases, instructions for uninstalling antivirus can be found in its documentation or on the developer’s website.
Visual C++ Redistributable should be repaired
In some situations, your system’s C++ Redistributable files are corrupted, causing the game to crash. To resolve this issue, all we need to do is repair these redistributable files to resolve the issue. To do so, follow the instructions listed below:
- Navigate to the Library area of the Steam client.
- Select Properties from the context menu when right-clicking on Fallout 4.
- Go to the Files menu and select Local Files.
- In File Explorer, click Browse Local Files to open the Fallout 4 Steam folder.
- Double-click the CommonRedist folder, then double-click the vcredist2012 folder.
- Double-click the vc_redist.x64 file and select Repair from the drop-down menu that appears.
- In your directory, navigate to the following path:
- C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 4_CommonRedist\directx\redist
- To repair DXSetup.exe, double-click it.
- To finish the Repair, follow the on-screen instructions.
- To test, restart your computer and run Fallout 4.
Uninstall and Reinstall the game
It might sound very simple, but many users have been helped by reinstalling the game again. The Fallout not launching problem can occur if the gaming program is not installed properly on your computer. You’ll need to reinstall Fallout 4 to solve it, so follow the procedures below:
- Click Library on the Steam client to get started.
- Select Uninstall from the context menu when you right-click on Fallout 4.
- When the uninstall procedure is complete, open the Task Manager by pressing Ctrl-Shift-Esc.
- Select End process tree from the Details tab by right-clicking on any Steam-related process.
- Restart Steam and download and install Fallout 4 on your computer.
- After installing the game, run it to see whether the problem persists.
If the Fallout 4 Not Launching on PC problem remains after using all of the methods described above, you can try updating Steam and the game, as well as running it as Administrator. If the problem isn’t rectified, you may always contact customer care. The numerous solutions to the Fallout 4 Not Launching issue were covered above. We’ve also talked about what might be causing the issue. I hope this information helped you solve the Fallout 4 won’t load on PC issue. Even if the game continues to have flaws, it will at the very least be playable. The fixes may have helped you with the problem, but if it hasn’t been resolved even after you’ve followed all of the above methods, there may be a problem with your computer’s hardware, for which you should get assistance from a technical expert!